One of our family favorite dishes is spaghetti and meatballs. This is a quick, egg free meatball in tomato sauce recipe that we cooked with my teen daughter. I have a feeling she will be on my case about the picture and wording and probably want to add this and that so brace yourselves for edits! This isn’t the most perfect picture, but a wonderful time was had in the kitchen with her and everyone ate everything and licked their bowls.
500g Ground beef (minced meat in South Africa)
1 Tablespoon robertson’s steak and chops spice
1 Tablespoon crushed garlic
2 teaspoons exotic spices pork spice
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
1 Can, 410g chopped tomatoes in their juices
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cubes beef stock
1 1/2 tablespoon dried garlic flakes
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix all the meat balls ingredients and form balls in your preferred size. Roll the balls into rounds and put them aside.
- In a pan, on medium heat, add your coconut oil and fry the meatballs until they are brown. Don’t crowd the pan. Fry the meatballs in batches. Remove them from the pan when they are all golden brown – put them in a dish and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add your onion, garlic flakes, oregano and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Saute until the onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock cubes, sugar and water, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.