2 Cups Cake Wheat Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1 Cup grated yellow cheddar (optional)
2 tablespoons melted butter, plus more melted butter for brushing the rolls when baking
1. Melt the butter. Warm the milk.
2. Bowl 1: Mix milk, sugar, yeast, salt and butter.
3. Add the flour into the mixture above.
4. Mix with your hand in the bowl. The mixture will be sticky but it shouldn’t be too sticky.
5. Sprinkle a teaspoon of cake flour on the surface you will be kneading on. You can use your other hand.
6. Put the dough onto the lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. The dough will initially be sticky but as you knead, it will form a manageable soft dough and not stick to your fingers.
NB: If it is too sticky, add flour while kneading – add a teaspoon at a time and knead it in before you decide to add another teaspoon. At the end of the kneading, you should have a soft ball. Your surface should not have dough stuck to it after kneading.
7. Bowl 2: Lightly grease with melted butter. Place the dough in this bowl, rubbing it around the bowl first to lightly grease it.
8. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes. I put mine in the sun – depending on how hot it is I may leave it out for less or more than the 45 minutes as long as it doubles in size.
9. Take the dough of the bowl and knead it for 1 minute.
10. Divide the dough into 6 portions. I went with 80g each.
11. Optional: Take each portion and add about a tablespoon of grated cheese to it. Knead the cheese into the dough and then roll the dough into a ball. Do this for all the 6 portions.
12. Roll each dough out into a rectangle or oval shape. Sprinkle a bit more cheese onto this new shape.Then using your palm, roll the dough into a cigarette from one end to the other. Use both palms to roll the cylinder at the same time and stretch out a little bit.
13. Put the rolls onto a baking tray, close together her – 1cm apart. Cover with a dish cloth or plastic wrap and let them rest for 30 minutes in a warm place. Switch your oven on to 180°.
14. Brush with butter then sprinkle more cheese (Optional). If you’re making the plain hot dog rolls, brush with egg wash only.
15. Put them in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
16. Brush with butter and then let them cool off for 10 minutes.